Thursday, January 10, 2008

08 January 2008: Looking ahead

At this point, it's very difficult to make it through a day without thinking about redeployment. It's so close now. I can't even have a discussion with someone on my team without the subject coming up. They have questions about what day we'll be leaving to Kuwait, when the unit flies back to the States, how long we'll demobilize at Camp Shelby, and other redeployment issues. I really don't have the definite answers right now. We only know the approximate day we'll be flying back to Camp Shelby. It's an exciting time. My concern is that we maintain mission focus. There's still work to do. I can't deny that I've been looking ahead. too.

The redeployment support mission we've had ongoing in Camp Taji came to a close today. That means some more members of my team are headed back to Kuwait. Pretty soon, the only people I'll have left here are the soldiers who originally came to Balad with me. I'll also have my latest iteration of Coast Guard. The USCG rotates their personnel too frequently. I can't keep the same people more than about three months at a time. This will be the crew that will sprint with us to the finish line.

There's about 59 days to go. See? There I went, looking ahead again. Happy Birthday Sis!

No comments: