Wednesday, January 16, 2008

15 January 2008: It's a small Army


Our first order of business at FOB Falcon was teaching our classes. Training began at 0900 in a side conference room of the DFAC. We had over 60 attendees. As I began the introduction, I noticed a beaming face in the crowd. I instantly recognized him as someone I recruited into ROTC a few years ago. He was a Bryant University sophomore at the time and just a kid enrolled in my Basic Military Science class. Now he's a First Lieutenant serving as an Executive Officer for a Cavalry Troop here at FOB Falcon. It's a small Army. My team cruised right through our training. I lost count on how many times we've taught (and applied) this stuff. The training wrapped up around 1530. I had my photo taken with my former student in front of a dragon sculpture that adorns the DFAC. The brigade here is known as "The Dragons".

John (the 1LT) and I agreed to meet back for supper. I cruised on to the gym to fight the crowd. On the way, I stopped to watch a bunch of Joes playing "ultimate football" on a very muddy field adjacent to the gym. I snapped a few photos of them just to freeze the image. Then I hurried through my workout so I'd be on time for supper.

John and I chatted for over an hour. He told me he was planning on proposing to his girlfriend back home as soon as he redeployed. Apparently, he purchased the ring over R&R. He told me he was undecided about staying on active duty. I advised him to at least stay in the Army Reserve or National Guard. He agreed. We need good leaders to stay in, whether it be active duty or not. He's poised to go to his Captain's Career Course after he gets home. He's also going on leave around the time of his old ROTC battalion's commissioning ceremony. I asked him to attend. It would be awesome for the new lieutenants to be able to see a recent alumni who's just back from the war. Hopefully, he'll attend. I also invited him to my assumption of command ceremony next summer (although I don't know the date).

After supper he had to attend a meeting. We parted ways and I cruised over to the brigade ALOC to check on our flight out of Falcon. Then I cruised Green Beans for some hot chocolate. There really is very little entertainment at this place. I made the cold walk back to my hooch. Once there, I read a magazine over hot chocolate. With nothing else to do I went to bed.

No comments: