Thursday, January 3, 2008

02 January 2008: 300

I'm definitely not making reference to the movie. This was day 300 of my deployment. If I do the math correctly on that 365 BOG, I believe that means 65 days to go. It's been almost a year since I reported to Camp Shelby, MS, with my unit. I'll be certain to celebrate that anniversary - NOT!

Now that awards are complete (I hope), I was able to catch up on some considerable paperwork that has backed up. I had three separate AAR's to write for starters. My team didn't have any inspections or other work scheduled so I gave them a personal day. They did stop by my hooch late in the afternoon to drop off a couple bags of ice. Unlike Balad, my hooch here doesn't have a mini-fridge. I rely on a cooler.

I've attempted to watch a few bowl games but it's difficult at best. Most of the games are in prime time in the U.S. That means kickoffs are after midnight. I can't hang. What ends up happening is I catch the highlights in the morning. Then AFN shows repeats all day. Everywhere I go - DFAC, gym, MWR, HQ's - there are games on. However, it's no fun to watch because we all know who won and have seen all the highlights.

Speaking of football, I've heard that Army is planning on switching to the "spread-option" attack next season. My stomach is turning already at the thought. This offense is based on a quick passing scheme and utilizes multiple receivers. Why are the powers that be at Army so fixated on passing attacks? Army simply doesn't have the athletes or size to be competitive with pass-based offenses. The reason Navy and Air Force succeed is because they utilize offensive schemes that negate size advantages of the competition. Their running of triple-option offenses allow their outsized teams to put multiple "hats" at the point of attack. This should be an easy concept for Army to grasp. We teach the importance of having mass and deception when preparing officers to lead offensive operations. I want to be wrong, but, I already have a bad feeling about next season. As long as Army focuses on passing it's going to be a long season.

Anyway, I've got 300 days down on this deployment.

No comments: