Monday, January 21, 2008

20 January 2008: My arm still hurts

Can you believe it? We're already 20 days into 2008. It's not even vogue to say "Happy New Year" anymore. This is good. The deployment is dwindling down to its final weeks.

My arm still hurts. Typical post-anthrax shot symptoms include soreness in the arm, minor swelling and redness in the area of the shot, and slight fever akin to the flu. I've got all the above. There's a small knot inside my shoulder where the serum was administered. It's red and sore to the touch. I wandered through my day feeling a slight fever. I'm not looking for sympathy. I just want you to see what a real pain in the ass the anthrax shot can be.

Most of my day was spent filling in time in anticipation of the AFC Championship game. Kickoff wasn't until 2300, so that's a lot of time to fill. We had no inspections so I worked on our upcoming RIP-TOA. I attempted a nap in the afternoon but every time I rolled over on my shoulder the pain woke me up. Fortunately, there were some good movies to watch. The AFN cable here at Camp Liberty has standard programming, but there's one extra channel. It's like a "pirated movie" channel. There is a continual stream of movies - some are the real deal, some are pirated DVD's. I never know what they are going to show. Today there were a couple of classics. I watched "An American Werewolf in London" and "Kelly's Heroes". They helped the countdown to kickoff go by a lot faster.

As for the game? I was very surprised how sloppy the Pats played in the first half. I must've jinxed Tom Brady by mentioning his streak of red zone TD's without an interception. The Pats won though. They find ways to win. That's what separates the great teams from the good teams. Now they get a rematch with the Giants for the Superbowl. My prediction? The G-men are playing very well and are on a roll. I believe this will be a good SB. The Pats win in a very competitive game by a score of 33-30.

My arm should be completely healed by then.

No comments: