Monday, November 5, 2007

04 November 2007: Comet Holmes and the Pats game

A couple of nights ago I was walking back from chow when I noticed something in the night sky. I thought it was a planet. However, it seemed odd and out of place. It was hazy, bright and reddish. I figured my bearings and confirmed it was in the northern sky. When I got to my hooch I did some quick research online and determined that what I saw was an exploding comet. Have any of you taken the time to look? It's named Holmes. Find a pair of binoculars or a telescope. This thing is pretty spectacular. I'm not certain, but it may be a once in a lifetime event. I've been telling people about it here but Joes don't seem that interested. I was always fascinated by the stars. One of my favorite things to do was visit the planetarium. I could sit and watch for hours. If you are missing Comet Holmes then get your ass out on a clear night and look. It's worth your time. Now I'm finding myself staring at it for a few minutes every night.

My team had no work for Sunday. I went by one of the Multi-National division HQs so I could digitally sign one final award (the last one I'll submit for my soldiers). Once that was complete I went to the Iraqi Bazaar adjacent to the Liberty PX. When I walked inside I was thinking I'd drop a few bucks. While there I checked out rugs, jewelry, postcards, trinkets, knives, leather goods, trophies, plaques, and various other things. When it came down to deciding I decided against. I've been extremely disciplined in spending money on this deployment. In past trips I've bought all kinds of stuff - rugs, gold, jewelry, and various junk. Not so this time - I haven't bought anything. I noticed there were lots of Joes spending money. It seemed like most of them were buying things like old Iraqi Army bayonets and junk similar to that. I probably wandered the bazaar for an hour just gawking. I walked away empty handed.

Next order of business was football. It was an awesome football Sunday - even if I did have to stay up until 0340 to see all of the Patriots - Colts game. AFN didn't carry the Titans game so I had to keep up on NFL.com. My wireless is too slow for streaming audio. However, they won. Next, I walked to the MWR and found a seat among a room full of Joes. The crowd was about evenly split between Patriots and Colts fans. What a game! The Patriots rock. I was getting very sleepy and at halftime I considered leaving. Hell it was 0200 at that point. I am glad I stuck it out. The Patriots overcame a ten point 4th quarter deficit (as well as some shitty calls by the officials - what the hell were those pass interfence calls on Hobbs in the 1st half and Moss in the 2nd half?). Final score Patriots 24 Colts 20. I loved seeing Peyton Manning getting sacked and fumbling on their last possession. Like I said, I got to bed around 0340.

That was Sunday at Camp Liberty.

No comments: