Saturday, November 10, 2007

09 November 2007: Barnstorming C130 to Mosul


Today dawned just like all the days previous at Camp Liberty. There was one difference – we were leaving. This time we were off to Mosul. Yeah, I know what you’re thinking. We’ve been there already. If you haven’t figured it out already, our missions are based around major hubs where the units we support are based. Hence we return to Mosul.

Unlike the normal routine that we’ve come to expect, our flight was at a reasonable hour this time around. Our showtime was 1220 at BIAP. That meant we all had the chance to chill out at our own pace until time to go. I used my time wisely. My morning was DFAC, more coffee, reading e-mail, taking a healthy shit, packing for mission, and cleaning up the hooch. It’s a nice thing to leave out on mission, yet, not be rushed. I even had time to drop off my laundry. We won’t be in Mosul long. I’ll have clean clothes waiting on me back at Camp Liberty.

Once we checked into the flight we dropped our bags off at the pallet yard. Then we walked over to Sather DFAC for lunch. The weather was beautiful. Temperatures are very nice these days. They’re more akin to late September in Rhode Island. Once lunch was over we sat around the pax terminal, waited, and battled flies. I don’t know if it’s the cooler temperatures or what but flies are in much greater abundance. Fuckers are aggressive too.

Flies or no flies, we boarded our C130 at about 1545. There were about thirty other people and a couple of pallets onboard. We made a stop in Balad. All we saw of Anaconda was what we could see out the back ramp of the aircraft. One pallet and about twenty people got off. Another pallet and about forty more Joes boarded. A short time later we were on our way to Mosul. I slept for most of the flight – however uncomfortable it was. As we began our descent the plane started rocking in a series of violent motions. I was expecting that at any time the pilot would perform a World War I style snap barrel-roll. I had the vantage point of looking out of one of the small windows. It was dark outside but from the ground lights I could only reach one conclusion – the pilot misjudged the airfield and had to gun the engines to gain altitude again. It was a crazy ride. Times like these I’m very thankful I don’t get airsick. That would have been the time for it to occur.

At last we made it to Mosul. We should’ve been here about five days ago. It turned out the airfield had been under repairs – cancelling all flights. One of my soldiers was there to pick us up. I had sent three of my team up a week ago to get started early. We love coming here because it’s quiet, accommodations are nice, and the unit we support takes excellent care of us. A few minutes later we were in our rooms. I had some cigars and invited my team to come out for a smoke. We sat around in the cool night air and smoked cigars until around 2230. The sky was crystal clear. The city lights of Mosul twinkled peacefully. Around this part of Iraq a person could forget there’s even a war. My team has another 119 days.

Back home the day has another significance. It’s Jacqueline’s birthday. I didn’t forget. Happy Birthday Jacqueline! You better have had fun or else!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, handsome, for your birthday threat and the gorgeous flowers!