Monday, November 19, 2007

18 November 2007: Army Football - "A Culture of Winning"

Did anybody see the Patriots dismantle the Bills? I don't think I've ever seen an NFL team that so thoroughly dominates every opponent. Not even the '85 Bears were this overwhelming. How many idiots out there still believe the Pats should have an asterisk next to their record if they go undefeated? Let me put it this way, if there is an asterisk it will be for something else. The asterisk will be to denote that the rest of the NFL failed to put up even meaningful competition for the entire season. So far this NFL season has been the Patriots versus the JV squad from every other NFL franchise. It's downright scary what they are doing. I'm glad I'm a Pats fan. I like the Titans too but I've already conceded that there is no way in hell the Titans would ever beat the Patriots this season. Whatever NFL team you root for, if it's someone other than the Patriots you might as well write-off this season and wait until next year.

Right now we're just standing by for the next mission. That means Sunday was open for lounging and watching football. The DFAC conversations centered around the previous day's college football games. AFN was showing all the highlights. Army lost as usual. Navy won as usual. Air Force won as usual. When I was home over R&R I attended my West Point reunion. One of the events was listening to a presentation by the Superintendent (3-star General). Inevitably, questions started to be asked regarding the sorry state of Army football. He replied with a "feel-good" answer about how they were trying to develop a "culture of winning" by adjusting the schedule to play easier competition. The only thing I can figure is that he meant developing a culture of winning for the sorry-ass competition. Eventually, even the shittiest of teams will know that if they have Army on their schedule they can chalk up at least one win. Let's see, so far this season Army has assisted the culture of winning for some notable football programs by losing to Akron, Central Michigan and Tulsa (to name a few). Man I can't wait for that schedule to get easier!

My sarcasm shines through once again. Navy goes to a bowl game again, Air Force goes to a bowl game again, and Army stays home for the holidays.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Developing a culture of winning by adjusting the schedule for "easier competition" falls right into the politically correct "feel good" formula that is so prevalent today. The opinion that we don't want any one to get their feelings hurt by not coming in on top so let's let everyone win! No losers! Have you heard the most recent decision by schools - no one is valedictorian! I'm getting sick! (er)