Saturday, November 24, 2007

23 November 2007: Filling a sandbag before lunch


I found out this morning that FOB Kalsu does have a coffee shop. It's not a Green Beans. Instead, it's a little Iraqi shop that also serves as the sewing shop. I rejoiced when I learned this. After breakfast I stopped by for a cup. It was definitely better - and stronger - than the DFAC variety. The proprietor has been in business for awhile it seems. His wall is adorned with lots of photos of himself with soldiers and thank you notes. There were also letters of appreciation from various units that have called Kalsu home.

My team wrapped up their work this morning and packed up the equipment. Around lunchtime I walked over to the DFAC. Just as I was showing my ID the soldier at the entrance said, "Sir, you have to fill a sandbag before you can go in." I looked around and, sure enough, there was a huge pile of dirt with shovels. Every soldier, regardless of rank, was filling one sandbag prior to entering. I walked over an filled mine. A soldier next to me was having trouble so I helped him fill his too. He thanked me and then we both headed on inside. That's the first time I have ever had to fill a sandbag as a prerequisite to eating at the mess hall.

After lunch we learned that we'd be flying back to Camp Liberty that night. With that in mind, we all got our gear ready and waited. At supper there was some unknown musical act playing. They had two young blondes that they referred to as "The Blonde Squad". Their sole purpose was to mingle with the Joes and pull them up to dance in front of the band. One of my sergeants was pulled up to dance. That was funny. What was funnier was when they hauled a bunch of Iraqi soldiers up to dance and sing to "Sweet Home Alabama." I'm not even going to attempt description. It was goofy, hilarious, strange, and bizarre. The Iraqis were definitely having fun dancing with the Blonde Squad.

Around 2000 we said goodbye to the unit we'd been assisting. They will all be back in Alaska soon. We loaded onto two Chinooks and flew into a moonlit night. Around 2030 we landed at BIAP and made our way back over to Camp Liberty. Just as I fired up my laptop back in my hooch it went dead. I haven't been able to start it up since. It was bad news at the end of a good week. I won't stress over it though.

We probably won't see Kalsu again.

No comments: