Thursday, November 8, 2007

08 November 2007: 245 days BOG

BOG means "Boots on Ground." It's a phrase that was coined in 2003 when the Department of the Army decided that rotations to Iraq for Army units would be 365 days. Ever since then Joes refer to this policy as "365 BOG." This past year it changed to fifteen months for larger sized units due to the surge strategy. Fortunately, I wasn't affected. Today marked my 245th day of BOG. The count begins the day you swipe your ID card upon arriving in theater. I swiped mine on 9 March 2007. If 365 is an accurate count then I have 120 days BOG remaining. I'm over the two-thirds mark! Somebody pop a Yuengling for me!

In the meantime, I'll be here. I'll still be counting the days down. Missions make that countdown go by very fast. Since my team is sprinting to the finish line, the next time I come up for air to count I'll be down to around 30 days. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. I haven't seemed to be doing much the past few days. Well it actually is due to matters beyond my control. I don't control flights around here. As soon as we can finally get a flight to our next mission we'll be running again.

Excitement comes in spurts over here.

No comments: