Thursday, November 29, 2007

28 November 2007: 100 days to go


A significant mental milestone was crossed today. I crossed the "100 days to go" barrier. I realize that literally counting the 365 days BOG isn't an exact science. It's a good estimate though. So before you attempt to rain on my parade I'll just continue to celebrate. I only have 100 days remaining on this deployment.

This place is an endless parade of new faces though. I can remember early in this (and previous) deployments how it felt to be the new guy. We always compare how many days we have to go. People who are early in their deployments speak of their remaining time in terms of months. Once someone gets past the two-thirds mark they transition into counting days remaining. I'm in that phase. I really feel for the Joe who says he has X-number of months to go. I also try not to gloat if I'm asked how much time remains. However, it was hard to keep from noticing the smile on my face today. This is the last triple digit day on my countdown.

There is an all-new variety of MRAP being fielded these days. Camp Liberty is the central issue location. These new vehicles are cool. If you recall, MRAP stands for Mine Resistant Ambush Protected. The new MRAPs are sleek, big, and simply bad-ass. I'm going to see if I can climb in one. I may just drive over to the issue and training facility and see if they'll let me take one on the driver training course. At lunchtime today there were around 30 of these bad boys lined up. I think a unit was training on them prior to taking ownership. They had all pulled into the DeFleury DFAC for lunch. There was a big crowd gathered around in admiration. These new vehicles are like the rock stars of Camp Liberty.

In the meantime, my team kept right on chuggin' along with making a difference. We got another couple of units completed. I love being the enabler for so many Joes to go home. Talk about a cool job in Iraq. I've got it. My team has it too. We have no complaints sans one - we're ready to go home too.

No comments: