Saturday, November 24, 2007

22 November 2007: Thanksgiving Kalsu style


Turkey day came just the same as it does everywhere else. Here at FOB Kalsu the DFAC served Thanksgiving dinner twice - at lunch and supper. My team and I went both times. It was an unbelievable spread of food. The only thing missing was the "pinch of love" that mom puts in everything. Well... that and the fact that we were all missing home. Missing home is an every day thing. It's just more acute on a day like today.

The DFAC was packed with Joes. We didn't have any dignitaries or VIPs visit. There was a band playing swing music. I'll do injustice in my attempt to describe the corny decorations. There were gawdy turkey statues. A huge cake adorned a centerpiece of watermelon carvings and fruit baskets. The Mayflower was displayed - at least a smaller version painted in brilliant sky blue and white. Perhaps the most ridiculous display was a teepee. I walked over to take a photo when I noticed movement. What I thought was another inanimate part of the display was a real person. She was dressed in a fake deerskin outfit and wore moccasins. Her hair was in the long braids you'd expect. I asked, "Are they giving you time to eat?" She laughed and told me that she did get a break. I went ahead and took the photo. Then I turned and walked back to my table. I was actually rather shocked at how cliche the American Indian display came across.

When I got back to my table I sat down and pounced on my turkey. One of my soldiers asked, "So Sir, who's the squaw?" I laughed and then started thinking. It couldn't have been Pocahontas. She was at Jamestown. Sacagewea? No - she was with Lewis and Clark. Come to think of it, I don't believe the Apponaug Indians (who dined with the Pilgrims) even used teepees. The answer to my soldier's question remains a mystery.

There must've been about a thousand turkeys or more that paid the ultimate sacrifice for the Thanksgiving at FOB Kalsu. They were delicious too - smoked. They were perfectly cut at carving stations. In addition we had prime rib, ham, dressing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, and all the other traditional fare. I believe every Joe and Josephine had a good feast. I know I did. Surprisingly, I was even able to get through when I called home.

We didn't do any work today. I tried to watch some football. Instead I had to sit through an episode of "America's Next Supermodel". Damn did that show suck. It was funny though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My son just left FOB Kalsu on Thanksgiving after 14 months and is in Kuwait awaiting a flight to Fort Richardson Alaska.

Thank you for the small description of where he was at.

A grateful Dad