Sunday, November 18, 2007

17 November 2007: Smash Mouth Joe sings up the treadmill

I have to disagree with an old beer jingle. Weekends were not made for Michelob. However, I'd even kick back one of those skunky mule-piss beers right about now. This is a life that defies proper explanation or description. No matter how hard I may try, the right words always escape me. As much as I want every reader to experience the real-life comedy that this whole deployment really is I feel that I'm failing. Every time I walk outside, I work with another unit, hop on a Blackhawk for a ride to another distant FOB, or roll my eyes at another announcement of "Incoming! Incoming! Incoming!" another moment has passed and the right analogy just doesn't come to mind. I laugh anyway. Yeah, I'd even take a Michelob right about now.

The Joes from Louisiana are still just as goofy as ever. Today they were gearing up for yet another route recon. Two Joes were fully armored up and still managed to have a game of catch with a football. Here's the kicker, they weren't on the ground. They were throwing the ball from on top of one MRAP to another. Meanwhile their .50 caliber machine guns revealed full loads of AP-T (armor piercing tracer) rounds. That's some bad-ass shit. I couldn't believe the amazing accuracy with which they tossed the ball. Were I a college recruiter I may have been talking to both of them. The ball never touched the ground.

The most ridiculous moment of the day came later. As usual, I went to the gym after work. About five minutes after I started my run an awkward looking Joe climbed up on the treadmill next to mine. Meanwhile, AFN "The Eagle" radio blared in the background. Just as Joe fired up the treadmill and started his lurching run the song "I'm a Believer" came on. It wasn't the original by the Monkees. It was the remake by Smash Mouth. To my astonishment, the Joe started happily singing along in a booming, out-of-tune voice. I figured he'd stop after a few moments. Wrong! He sang the entire song. I really don't care for that song - especially the remake - but it was cause for a priceless moment. Once again there was a Joe who was making me laugh.

I really wish those of you who've never served could just spend a week here and see what reality is. Joe isn't the "victim" some people try to portray him as. He's over here doing his job. It's a job he volunteered to do. He knew the risks when he signed up. He accepted that it would be necessary to live by an honorable code. He embraced the idea that he would become closer with the ones he serves alongside than even his own family. He loves his country. He loves serving his country. He knows in his heart that he has accepted a calling. Don't ever call Joe a victim. Weapons and technology are not the reasons the American military is the finest the world has ever known. Joe and Josephine are the reason. They are your neighbors, your friends, your co-workers, your sons, your daughters, your father, and even your mother. There is nobody finer, more humble, more committed, more humane, more compassionate, or more professional than an American soldier. Goddam I'm proud to have served with so many.

No comments: