Tuesday, February 5, 2008

04 February 2008: Day of the Dead

Camp Liberty was a land of zombies today. I guess I wasn't the only person who stayed up all night for the Super Bowl. As I mentioned in yesterday's entry, my bedtime was 0620. I slept for about two hours. Then I had to get back up and tend to work. It appeared to me that every Joe had done the same thing. I couldn't discern between Patriots and Giants fans. Everyone was smoked. It was the Day of the Dead. I didn't notice anyone eating flesh though.

The SB had a ripple effect on the entire day. I noticed the DFAC was practically empty for lunch. My assumption was that everyone tried to grab an hour snooze instead of eating. I grabbed a to-go lunch, went back to my hooch, ate and slept for another thirty minutes. Later on I found the gym empty. I had to ignore the TV because AFN was airing a repeat of the game. The DFAC was empty again at supper. The entire camp was devoid of any celebration or even post-game analysis. Only AFN served as a reminder of the big game.

The cruel result of staying up the entire night before was finding myself wired when I should have been sleeping. Try as I might, I simply couldn't go to sleep. It was around 0200 before my eyes began to close. The one day foray into zombie land came to a close.

No comments: