Monday, February 11, 2008

10 February 2008: And so....

....we're back in Camp Liberty. Camp Ramadi is behind us. I'm focusing again on our upcoming redeployment. There's a lot more work involved than one would think. It isn't a matter of just packing our dufflebags and jumping on the plane home. I wish it was that easy. That being said, I spent most of my time working on the continuity book for my replacement. He's going to be provided a lot more than I got when I arrived.

As quiet as it's been it can be easy to feel as though there is no war. Not only is there still a war on, it hit very close to home the night before. Two soldiers were killed by an IED. They belonged to one of the engineer units next to my hooch. I can't describe the hollow feeling that shot through me when I found out. The grim faces of their comrades are very sobering. Being the good soldiers they are, their pursuit of mission success continued unabated. They geared up and left out on night recon once again. Nobody back home can ever completely understand the adversity these young men and women overcome daily. They do it without a second thought. I would trust one of these nineteen year olds with my very life without even a slight hesitation. They are the best of the best. I pray when this is over they live long lives filled with peace and happiness.

No comments: