Saturday, February 16, 2008

15 February 2008: Revisiting Rocky

I'm not talking about Rocky Balboa. I'm talking about Rocky the mascot of 3rd Infantry Division, "Rock of the Marne". I made a "business call" over at the MND-C HQ. Those of you who pay attention to my blog will recall this HQ to be on Victory Base. Last week I made a visit to the VBC post office to mail some boxes home. The two buildings share the same parking lot. Unlike the day before, this time I included some of my team. I wasn't coming to see Rocky to hammer out differences. This was just an in-progress review. 3rd ID is very, very happy with the services my team provides to them. They are always happy to see us. No matter what FOB we visit to assist "Rock of the Marne", we are always well cared for. Most of 3rd ID come from Fort Stewart, GA. Although this Army post is adjacent to a typical, small military town (Hinesville), it's within striking distance of Savannah. That city is one of the most awesome places on the east coast. Where was I going with this? I guess my mind was wandering. It sure would be nice to hit Savannah tonight. Anyway, the meeting went outstanding. Rock of the Marne! I even pet the Rocky statue on the way in.

Speaking of on the way in, the entrance has controlled access. As my team was making our way in we each showed our access badges to the soldier at the gate. When she saw me she snapped to attention, saluted and bellowed, "ROCK OF THE MARNE!" I instinctively returned the salute and said, "Rock of the Marne!" I'm not assigned to the division so, technically, it wasn't my place to say that. However, I always feel at home with 3rd ID. It felt natural to say that.

The term Rock of the Marne comes from the 3rd Infantry Division's distinctive, proud history. In 1918, the Germans launched a massive offensive in France during the last months of World War I. It was their last effort to win the war. It almost worked. American forces were being rushed into the conflict (the United States didn't even enter the war until 1917). The war had been dragging on since 1914 with catastrophic losses of men and material. The French and British armies had practically no reserves. The American Army, newcomers full of vigor and enthusiasm, were rushed into the faltering French lines. The German Army had broken through and were threatening Paris. The 3rd Infantry Division took up defensive positions along the Marne River. They stopped the German offensive. Paris was saved. The German Army was spent. The war ended within the year. Ever since that battle the 3rd Infantry Division has been known as Rock of the Marne.

Audie Murphy also served with Rock of the Marne. I hope everyone has heard of him. Audie Murphy was the most highly decorated soldier in the history of the Army. He earned every single valor medal - Bronze Star, Silver Star, Distinguished Service Cross, and the Medal of Honor. Keep in mind that each medal was earned for a separate demonstration of combat valor. His actions are legendary even today. He was Rock of the Marne.

I like being around the 3rd ID. They are professional, friendly, and are always eager to help. It's always a pleasure, and honor, to be around the Rock of the Marne soldiers.

1 comment:

Shirley Jean Paulk said...

I really enjoy reading your blog.
Thanks for the comments about the
Rock of the Marne, 3rd ID. I am a
big fan of Audie's, have been since
early childhood and it is nice to
read and hear about Audie's old outfit. Please Stay Safe and thanks for all the good work and
sacrafices you folks are makeing.
Shirley Jean Paulk
Sacramento, California