Thursday, February 21, 2008

20 February 2008: Can't get there from here


Today enticed my entire team. It fooled us into believing we had a chance to leave FOB Warhorse. Although it was still dusty in the morning, the day became bright and clear. Around 1400 a couple of Blackhawks circled and landed. This caused everyone waiting on a flight to scurry over to the pax terminal. It was a head-fake. Never mind those helicopters, they were just a General officer. The spirits soared and then sank. You just can't get "there" from "here" when the "here" is Warhorse.

Regardless of the wait, we remained pretty confident that we'd get out. After supper my NCOIC stopped back by the pax terminal to check. All flights were on weather hold. Apparently, visibility was still bad somewhere. No worries, right? Everything looked great from our perspective. Surely we could count on flights? Wrong. Two hours later, I stopped back by to check the status. Dreadful words hit my ears. "Sir, all flights cancelled. Visibility is bad back at Balad and Speicher." My team was already dragging their gear over. I rushed out to stop them. Fortunately, I caught them after about 100 meters of rucksack hauling. We're back to the drawing board. Warhorse remains home for now.

No comments: