Monday, February 18, 2008

18 February 2008: Warhorse goes with weather hold



They are like two peas in a pod. The intent was for me to fly from here back to Balad as soon as our training ended. Well... FOB Warhorse... Once you're in it grabs hold and won't let go. I know from experience, having been stuck here before. This time the culprit was 30+ knot winds throughout the area of operations. Flights were grounded everywhere. They all cancelled. My magic sleigh ride out of here will have to wait. The whole "weather hold" routine will start anew in the morning. I hope it isn't the same episode of days waiting we experienced just a couple of weeks ago in Camp Liberty. FOB Warhorse, although not as crowded as it once was, is still a crappy place to be stuck.

The happy times here were in the conduct of our training. We can chalk another brigade up on our "trained for redeployment" list. I think that's eighteen and counting. We conducted classes in the theater, which is a makeshift wooden structure. It provided good automation for our slides. The acoustics were more than adequate. I don't like to raise my voice.

After the classes were over we saw how much the weather had deteriorated. I had a sinking feeling I wouldn't be going anywhere. Several trips to the pax terminal confirmed what I feared. Nothing was flying. However, there was more evidence that the KBR and military personnel involved with flight operations don't talk to one another. When I first reported to the pax terminal, the Sergeant on duty called Balad to check on my flight status. This was at 1415. The KBR person in Balad said the mission had departed and was making its rounds. The arrival time at Warhorse for my flight was 1515. The time came and went. About 1545 the Sergeant called back to Balad. This time the KBR person said the mission was complete. The Sergeant was quick to point out that they missed a stop on their route. He insisted on talking to the military side. The military informed him that the flight had made limited stops (due to weather) and had returned to Balad at 1230. That's almost two hours prior to the KBR person claiming the helicopters were out making their rounds! Shit! Where's the audit of these services? This crap happens all the time. I should know. Flying is a necessary part of my team's operations.

Later I stopped by a port-o-jon on the way to supper. A Joe had summed up the operations being conducted around FOB Warhorse. He said, "This isn't a war! We're just cops out on the beat."

I'm just a Team Chief trying to get back to Balad so I can meet my replacement. It's time to go home.

No comments: