Wednesday, February 27, 2008

27 February 2008: Progress

The most important progress being made is that my "RIP-TOA" plan for the replacements is going very well. Every training event I had arranged for them has worked like a charm. The continuity books I prepared are basic and focused. The briefings are all complete. The new Team Chief has his first mission planned out. All the newbies don't have the raw look anymore. They are beginning to understand exactly what's in store for them. More importantly, they understand how to go about meeting mission success. They are very happy with what we've provided them.

The other progress being made is my health. Throughout the day I improved dramatically. My voice is back, although karaoke is out for now. The sore throat and coughing have disappeared. That's the best part. I was able to talk with my replacement without fear of another vocal chord blowout. We made a lot of progress. I believe the baton is ready to be handed off. It's his team, his personnel. The only things we have left to do are inventory and sign over equipment, pack up our hooches and catch the flight to Kuwait.

As much as I've been immersed in my job I had begun to fear I would have difficulty letting it go. Somehow I was afraid I would be reluctant in handing over the reins. I'm finding it to be surprisingly easy. The rest of my team are finding the same. It's a surefire sign of a few things. Most importantly, it's a sign that we are very satisfied with the work we've done - there's nothing else to prove. It's also a sign we are ready to go home. We've got no regrets. We met the challenge and passed the test.

Before I wrap this blog up I will make a post to highlight everything my team has accomplished in the past year. I think anyone reading will rub their eyes in astonished disbelief. It's astounding to even myself. The replacements have their work cut out for them in the coming year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam-
I hope you are feeling better. I am glad that you guys have a feeling of accomplishment for a job well done. I know ya'll look forward to coming home. I want you to have a safe and careful trip back to the States. All my best to you and your team.

God Bless.

Christy

Jack and Joann said...

Question: will you continue blogging when you get stateside? Will you change the blog's name since you will no longer be FOB-Hopping in Iraq?

Just curious. I've been reading your blog since September when my daughter's boyfriend landed in Iraq with the Virginia National Guard.