Tuesday, February 19, 2008

19 February 2008: Fast-roping spiders


There is a terrible dust storm all over the area of operations. All flights have been grounded. My team continues to call Warhorse home for now. It looked like the weather was going to break earlier. The sun came out. We could even see blue sky. Visibility in any direction was never more than about 300 meters. We pursued every option available for flights. By 1000, all morning flights had cancelled. The daily logistics patrol to Balad had already departed so that was out as an option. Obviously, another day would be spent at Warhorse.

After lunch I faced the daunting task of finding something to do. The easy fix was a nap. I cruised back to my loaner hooch. We're housed in a total ghetto. Every CHU is in disrepair. There's tattered camoulflage netting everywhere. Previous occupants made attempts to build decks and patios. Those structures are all in shambles. Nobody cleaned up the mess. Even the sandbags are rotten. My hooch has three beds. One of them is broken, with the mattress leaning on the floor. There's a refigerator but it doesn't work. Whoever stayed in the CHU before left a loaf of bread and some other things that are now all moldy and rotten. The place smells of dust.

I reported to my CHU about 1400 and quickly took up the prone position on my bed. In a few minutes I was asleep. My nap knocked another hour out of the day. At precisely 1500 I sat up. As I stood up I noticed something through my blurry near-vision. At first I thought it was just the sleep in my eyes. As the fog of the nap cleared, I realized that something was dangling off of my nose. It was a spider! A fucking spider was fast-roping off the end of my nose! Almost instinctively, I clapped my hands on the beast and extinguished his brazen attempt at escape. It was then that I noticed something else. Another spider was rapidly descending off of my left elbow! I quickly stomped him into a pulp on the wooden floor. By now I had the complete paranoia of heightened senses. Every little tingle had me slapping. I shook my hands through my scalp and all over my body. I slapped all my clothing. I inspected the bed for signs of movement. There was nothing. Was it just two rogue insurgents in spider costumes? Regardless, they were history. It took several hours for me to convince myself that nothing else was crawling on me.

There really wasn't anything else to do. The evening flights cancelled. Visibility dropped to less than 100 meters. I walked to the gym to break the monotony. Later in the evening, one of my soldiers and I walked to the MWR to watch a new episode of "The Family Guy". Stewie kills Lois. It turns out it's a two-part episode. Now we have to wait until next week to see what happened. I sure hope we're not watching part 2 at FOB Warhorse. At the rate this is going, my flight out of Warhorse will be part of my redeployment flight. The weather shows no signs of abating.

I hope I killed all the spiders.

No comments: