Monday, February 25, 2008

24 February 2008: The Replacements, part II

They are here. They arrived at the fixed wing pax terminal around 0130. It took at least 30 minutes to gather all their gear and haul them over to the housing office. The new soldiers are eager, raw, and still in a daze from the traveling. Jet-lag is a bitch. Even though they were smoked, they stood around asking me questions about what's in store for them. Finally, around 0330, I got them to all go back to their new hooches and get some sleep.

We met back at 1200 for lunch. On my way into DFAC 3 I ran into the outgoing battalion commander of the unit I'll be taking over in the summer. It was the first time we'd ever met in person. We chatted for a few. I told him I'd be stopping back by later in the week. Training my replacements was the priority for now. Once inside, I sat amongst the new personnel. They were wide-eyed. Only a few of them have deployed before. I assured them they would be fine.

After lunch I set about the task of "handing off the baton". After an overview briefing, I gave them a foundation of the various types of missions our team does. The incoming Team Chief is now clear on the upcoming missions through June. I even helped him plan his first mission. At the same time, I became increasingly under the weather. I've never been sick this entire deployment. It's hitting me now. I know what it's from - FOB Warhorse. The CHU I stayed in was as inhospitable as any I've ever seen. Now I have some crud that has me achy, stuffy, and talking through a painfully sore throat. Warhorse refuses to let go of me. I'll drive on though. The new team will be ready.

I'd rather get sick now than after I redeploy. Fine, I'll deal with it now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice Job Sam! Get well soon.....so we can have that Yeungling together! Make sure those replacements keep the level of expertise high. We're very proud of you and your men.