Friday, February 29, 2008

29 February 2008: Stupid Leap Year

Today was supposed to be the first day of a new month. What kind of luck in the draw is it to deploy over leap year? It feels like we are forced an extra day. 365 BOG includes the extra day. That being said, the actuality is that it only seems as though we got stuck with another day. The way the day went, it was a long one too.

Egos are rearing their ugly head again. It happens often in the Army. In this case it really doesn't affect me or my team. Unfortunately, the replacements are in the crosshairs. It involves command and control (C2). Apparently there is a change in the works. The replacements didn't know anything about the change and feel as though they've been ambushed. I empathize with them completely. I spent most of today on the phone and in meetings. My efforts were to clarify the changes and see if I could determine the root causes. The command of the incoming unit is not happy with the changes. I see a big fight on the horizon. I'm only thankful it will be a battle that occurs after I'm gone. I hate it when egos get in the way of mission success. I've been summoned to provide an in-depth briefing of our operations over the past year. This will take place once I'm back in Kuwait. I look forward to this, as it will give the incoming unit commander a thorough understanding of what his soldiers will be doing in Iraq. I also hope it will help alleviate any concerns he has regarding the imminent changes to C2.

Our inventory continued today. I think we finally wrapped up. I held an AAR with the new team. They were extremely happy with the training we provided. They are just eager to get out on their first mission. They had to wait an extra day - remember that it's leap year.

I have almost reached saturation at this point. My redeployment couldn't come at a better time. Home, friends, family, beer, my life.... I look forward to having them all back.

No comments: