Saturday, February 23, 2008

23 February 2008: The Replacements


Well, they aren't here - yet. I'm waiting on them. I expect them here any minute. Given that there's an internet cafe at the pax terminal, I figured I'd go ahead and keep typing. Another sign of the finality of my deployment's approaching end is imminent. My team's replacements will be here and checked into their billets within the hour. I have spent almost my entire time since I returned from Warhorse immersed in the presentations I will be giving them starting tomorrow. I've also put together a comprehensive "continuity" book for the new Team Chief. It will be a lot more than I got when I arrived. Truth is, the team my soldiers replaced were only interested in leaving. They left us with nothing - no classes, briefings, or even records from any of the work they had accomplished from their time here. I am resolved to ensure my replacement is well prepared. He will be.

I barely saw any of LSAA today. The entire time was spent in the office. This is a by-product of being stuck in FOB Warhorse. The time I had allotted was consumed in the dust of cancelled flights. That's alright though, I had it all together in my head. It just required me putting it to paper.

Hot damn! I've only got about nine days left in Iraq. Has it already been a year? Almost.

1 comment:

Lisa Bastion said...

Congratualtions on your team's success! I've been reading your blog since January 2008. My daughter's boyfriend was deployed from Fort Benning to FOB Hammer on January 5. Your blog has helped us to partially know his situation. Although she hears from him often, there are no details of his days. As a mother of 2 sons and 1 daughter, I can't imagine having one of my children at war. As a middle school principal, I know that some of my former students are there and many others will follow. Congratulations on your success and enjoy your time at home.