Sunday, February 10, 2008

09 February 2008: Reflections on Camp Ramadi


We weren't there long enough to explore the entire camp. What I saw was depressing. Our 24 hours in Ramadi were filled with gray skies and dark brown hues of Iraqi mud. However, the camp is center to a lot of activities in Anbar Province. Camp Ramadi is home to one of the biggest success stories in all of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Operations centered out of Camp Ramadi cleared Anbar Province of Al Qaeda and other insurgent activities. The local population reclaimed the province, kicked the insurgents out, and work closely with the coalition and Iraqi security forces to rebuild and maintain peace. What was once the most volatile province in Iraq is now the most peaceful. The local "Awakening Councils" consist of tribes that have come together in peace to rid their communities of the tyranny of Al Qaeda. They've done an outstanding job. As peaceful as it is now, it seems the Marines would have more time to fix up their camp. They have a head start in landscaping - the camp has areas of palm trees that could be a nice "resort" touch.

I'm glad we didn't have to spend much time in Camp Ramadi. The real work will come later. It will happen after I've departed. We've set our replacements up for success. The rainy season should be over by the time they return to this camp.

My activities for today were recovery. I slept in. Then I completed the after action review for the mission. How many missions have we completed on this deployment? I have no idea. I can't remember them all. Here's my answer - a lot.

No comments: