Wednesday, February 13, 2008

12 February 2008: Which DFAC?

Meticulous planning doesn't always guarantee communication will be foolproof. Today proved to be a case in point. Our day was supposed to start off with training for a combat aviation brigade here at VBC. There were several other units that got wind of the event and requested to attend. It was up to the aviators to set up the location for the training. The word they put out was the Marne DFAC, which is on Victory Base. Training would start promptly at 0900. My team and I arrived to find about thirty officers and NCO's from the units who had asked permission to attend. There was no sign of the aviators, no in-focus projector, and no sign of any attempt to set up the conference room. I spoke to the DFAC staff and they had negative knowledge of any training scheduled. I immediately sent some of my team to fan out and see if they could get to the bottom of everything. In the meantime, I asked the personnel waiting to hang tight. I'm glad they were patient. It took almost 45 minutes to figure out what happened. The aviators were set up at Camp Striker in the Commando Cafe. WTF? That's a thirty minute drive from Marne DFAC. I rounded up everyone and we headed on over to Camp Striker.

It was 1000 when we arrived at Commando Cafe. We had to wait an additional 15 minutes while the DFAC generators were serviced. Finally, at 1020 (an hour and 20 minutes late) we began our training. There were over 80 people in attendance from four different brigade-size units. That's what happens when word gets out about training conducted by my team. Everyone wants to attend. Everybody wants to go home. They all know my team can show how to make it happen with minimal difficulties. We're glad to oblige.

I wasn't happy our classes started so late. We made up for the lost time though. I know, boring entry today. I'm thinking more about going home

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is Valentine's Day! I hope you and all of your men feel the nice big warm hug that I am sending you!

Christy