Thursday, August 2, 2007

01 August 2007: Praying for Space-A


The good news is that it’s a whole new month. The bad news is that I’m ringing it in at FOB Warhorse. This wasn’t intended. However, it’s not something I could affect. Having seen the 25 meters of FOB Warhorse National Forest already, there wasn’t much else for me to do. I had instructed my team members to lay low, get some rest, and meet me for lunch. I slept until around 0900. After some time for personal hygiene I sweltered my way over to Green Beans. Since it was nice and air conditioned, I drank my coffee there. There was a constant flow of people. Green Beans is obviously the most popular venue at Warhorse. Most of the people were Army. However, there were also Air Force, civilian, and a couple of coalition. Having traveled as much as I do I’ve started to run into people I’ve met previously on almost every FOB. While enjoying my coffee I ran into the public affairs Captain from COB Speicher. We chatted for a few minutes. My main question to her was why I hadn’t seen the article her office did on my team back in April. She shrugged it off. I guess I won’t see it any time soon. (her public affairs attachment had covered a mission my team conducted in Kirkuk at FOB Warrior)

After coffee I cruised to the internet café. I couldn’t believe how empty it was. That was good because it allowed me to catch up on e-mail, situation reports (SITREPs), and the blog entries. I finished in perfect timing for lunch. My team was waiting on me at the entrance to the DFAC. Once inside we chatted for a few minutes about our chances of getting back to Balad. Our only hope for today was space-available. There were no guarantees. I advised the team to be mentally prepared for the worse – staying until 3 August. That was the back-up plan. I had reserved us a flight for that night since it was the next available flight we could guarantee. We made a plan for when to meet later in the evening and went our separate ways.

The afternoon didn’t hold anything of interest. This is such a dreary FOB that taking a nap is always a good idea if you have the time. That’s exactly what I did. Afterward I went to the gym. On the way I stopped at the PX and Iraqi market. The PX was packed, yet, sparsely stocked. The Iraqi market was nothing but pirated DVDs. Nothing held my interest so I cruised on to the gym. My workout consisted of a 5-mile run on the treadmill. This was a real struggle because the gym AC doesn’t work. When I finished I was spent and drenched as though I’d been thrown in the pool. I hurried on back to the hooch, took a shower, and guzzled water. I couldn’t imagine 365 days at FOB Warhorse.

Around 2230 our ride took us back to the pax terminal. The place was packed – very discouraging. However, the SGT in charge immediately saw me and promised he’d do everything he could to see us off. We then sprawled out on the gravel along a set of hesco barriers and watched the riff-raff around us. The big cannons started firing again so we were treated to successive flash-bangs. It added interest to the night. There was an Army officer there with a whole group of soldiers and Iraqis. I started watching him and chuckling at his every move. He was “Cliché Army Guy”. He’d say things like, “Alright everyone, get ready to move! The birds are inbound! Be ready in five mikes!” He had a deep baritone voice and said “roger” a lot. Even my Coast Guard personnel made a comment about how he seemed like a character from an old war movie. The goofiest part was when his helicopters did touch down he jumped up and started using weird hand and arm signals to get his people lined up. I just laughed.

About 0150 a couple of Chinooks arrived. They were headed to Balad and were at Warhorse to drop off cargo. The SGT went out and talked to the crew chief on our behalf. Once they dropped cargo they were empty so they were glad to give us a ride. We geared up and walked out to the awaiting Chinook. As the aircraft took off and headed north we could see the flash of the big guns back at Warhorse. In the distance we could see the impact of their shells. There was obviously a major battle going on further south. My team and I were much relieved to be leaving Warhorse. By 0245 I was back in my hooch, dropping clothes and gear, brushing my teeth, and collapsing in bed. Hey, it’s a whole new month!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your blog! I'm trying to learn about FOB Warhorse as a dear friend (an 'adopted' son) will be transferred there this coming weekend. He has been at Camp Liberty for the past 4 months and looks like he'll be in for a big change, and not for the better! This is his second tour, and he knows what to expect at Warhorse.
I got a kick out of the National Forest signs! Gotta love a sense of humor in the middle of hell!
Thanks again, Fort! I'll be checking in frequently.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your blog! I'm trying to learn about FOB Warhorse as a dear friend will be transferred there this coming weekend. He has been at Camp Liberty for the past 4 months and looks like he'll be in for a big change, and not for the better! This is his second tour, and he knows what to expect at Warhorse.
I got a kick out of the National Forest signs! Gotta love a sense of humor in the middle of hell!
Thanks again, Fort!