Friday, August 24, 2007

24 August 2007: "Somebody forgot to turn off the f***ing oven!"


I guess you could say we’re settling into a routine now. That’s actually the last I wanted for this mission. We can’t control it though. The unit we came to support simply wasn’t ready for us. As a result, we have to ad lib until they are. I could think of tons of things we could do but are unable due to lack of transportation. All we have is an ambulance humvee that runs on a prayer. I’m not even sure how we ended up with the thing. It’s still looking as though it will be several days before we are completely work engaged. So in the meantime I’ve started getting around this huge compound to visit with other brigades that we’ll be supporting in the near future. At least I can help them plan their redeployment operations. It’s also a good time to introduce some of my team members to the folks they’ll work with on future missions.

With such meetings in mind, we loaded up in our decrepit humvee and drove over to Camp Striker. It was blisteringly hot and the AC doesn’t work. We sweltered our way over to meet with some folks in a brigade headquartered at Striker. It was a good meeting – very productive. We loitered awhile to enjoy their AC and drink their water. As we were leaving I overheard some Joes walking ahead of us. One of them said in a very “countrified” manner, “somebody forgot to turn off the fuckin’ oven.” No truer words could’ve been spoken.

All day today there was a huge pall of black smoke on the horizon to the northeast. I asked around but nobody seemed to know what it was. It burned into the night. I estimated it to be about 30 miles away. I think there is a refinery in that direction. I’m just speculating though.

As I was walking to supper I passed several vehicles belonging to an engineer unit. It made me realize that this war has spawned a whole new generation of Army vehicles. They all are in reaction to the type of war we are fighting here. All of them are for defeating IEDs. The engineers are the units that utilize the widest array of new equipment. They are tasked with clearing routes of IEDs so that other units can safely pass. To do so they move out in MRAPs, Buffalos, up-armored humvees, and a variety of other vehicles. Attached to their vehicles are mine rollers, plows, drag chains, electronic jamming booms, wire cutters, and various other contraptions. They even have some vehicles carrying giant blowers that are like a leaf blower on Barry Bond’s steroids. It clears debris off the sides of roads with gale force winds. Watching an engineer convoy move out is an impressive sight.

It’s unlikely we’ll be completely engaged tomorrow either so I’ll be driving around Camp Liberty knocking on doors. I must say that it is quite nice to have internet in my room. I forgot what a luxury it can be.

No comments: