Tuesday, August 7, 2007

07 August 2007: Barry who? 756 what?

My team was supposed to travel to FOB Kalsu this week. However, this is one time where the poor travel prospects will put a mission on hold. After being told that we had less than a 10% chance of traveling I told the team to stand down. None of us were excited at the prospect of loitering in pax terminals for 72 hours or more just to teach five hours of classes. I discussed our options with the unit we were to support and we came up with some alternative courses of action. As a result, everyone is happy. The bottom line is that we won’t be traveling to Kalsu after all.

It seems a lot cooler the past couple of days. A quick look at the thermometer reveals that we’re still cracking 110. However, it’s roughly 5-10 degrees cooler than it was just a week ago. At night it’s almost pleasant. It’s amazing how much more tolerant we are to a slight change in temperature. Were we any other place we’d be complaining loudly about how hot it is. Instead, we’re happy for a “break” in the temperatures. I guess it’s all a matter of perspective.

Late-breaking news from the sports front – Barry Bonds hits number 756. What was the reaction here? Nobody really seems to care. The basic reaction from my team has been the shoulder shrug and “so what?” look. Personally, I really don’t give a rat’s ass. I still believe Hank Aaron to be the best all-round player ever. “Hammerin’ Hank” did it without any air of suspicion or cloud of uncertainty about performance enhancement. He was also very beloved by baseball fans of all ages.

I’ll put it this way – if Barry Bonds came to LSAA to sign autographs (it would never happen) I would avoid him completely. If Hank Aaron came for a visit I’d go out of my way to find him. I think that pretty much says it all.

No comments: