Saturday, August 25, 2007

25 August 2007: We get new wheels


The day came to find my team still in a reactionary holding pattern. I held a meeting at 0900 to plan out some events that we could accomplish while we waited. About 1030 I walked across the street to an infantry brigade headquarters to talk with their transportation officer. I had some questions for the brigade in reference to some missions we had upcoming to support their redeployment. After lunch I took part of the team by one of the division HQs to discuss the same type of stuff. While there we received great news. The division was providing us an NTV (non-tactical vehicle). It’s an Isuzu Trooper. We are psyched. Now we have a vehicle that’s got AC, it rides well, and we don’t have to wear a Kevlar to drive around. The decrepit hummer ambulance can now be parked. We’ll still have it as a backup.

For the most part, the day was spent knocking on doors and having impromptu meetings. This way when we come back the units we’ve met with will be more ready. The word on the street is that there will finally be some containers ready for us to check tomorrow. My computer guys are gainfully employed and have been this whole time. So, we really haven’t been idle the whole time we’ve been in Camp Liberty. It’s just that the real action will start once we begin inspecting containers, paperwork, and HAZMAT.

As night fell I stopped by the orderly room of one of the engineer units. It was a National Guard unit from Puerto Rico. They had been cooking a spicy fish and rice meal on hot plates. It smelled wonderful but I had already eaten. I told them I’d come back another night. I had stopped by to use their phone. They were more than happy so I was able to call home. The phone was right next to some of their tactical radios. Apparently, they had soldiers outside the wire. Every few minutes my call would have to pause while the unit on patrol called in checkpoints, spot reports, and situation updates. Fortunately, it sounded like they were having an uneventful patrol. All the radio traffic was routine.

Alas, it was time for bed. Walking back to my hooch I was treated to a light show of flares. They were coming from helicopters in the distance. I couldn’t see them but I could hear them. I really don’t know why they were shooting flares. It made for a cool night spectacle though.

No comments: