Friday, August 24, 2007

23 August 2007: Stupid Boonie Cap!


We’re now settled in here at Camp Liberty. I was expecting that we’d get right to work. That would be how things work in the ideal world. I found out it was time for us to be patient. It turned out that one of the units that had requested our help was nowhere near being ready for us. The other unit only required computer help and won’t need the rest of the team until a few days from now. That meant we’re here, we’re ready, and we’re essential tourists for a couple of days. I’m not happy about that. However, it’s out of our hands so I won’t stress about it.

Another challenge we’re faced with is limited transportation. Camp Liberty alone is a huge place. The prospect of “foot power” in this heat is not promising. I walked over to one of the units we’re supporting and practically melted away in the process. After visiting them I trekked over to the PX and back to my hooch. On the way back to my hooch a gust of wind blew my boonie cap off and I had to look like an idiot chasing it down. It’s one thing to stop traffic when it’s just cars. Try stopping traffic when it’s armored personnel carriers, tanks, and MRAPs. I know all the soldiers were amused at watching a lieutenant colonel chasing after his boonie cap and stopping military traffic. I received a few waves from some of the various vehicles. Fortunately, I was able to save my cap before it was run over by any of the heavy vehicles.

By the time I got back to the hooch I was exhausted. This was more due to being out in the excessive heat. I drank some water and took a nap. My hooch at Camp Liberty is very centralized with respect to the DFAC and gym. That’s a good thing when you have to walk everywhere. Once I’d napped for about thirty minutes I went to the gym. The place was absolutely packed. I managed to get in a decent workout though. After a quick shower I hit the DFAC. All the walking in the heat had made for a whopping appetite. I chowed down on just about everything on my plate. Hell, I even threw in a big piece of strawberry cheesecake for good measure.

This is going to sound mundane to most of you but there is a huge advantage to being in Camp Liberty – there is a wireless network available. It’s a rip-off, but, I paid for a month of service just for the luxury of internet in my hooch. It’s something I don’t have in Balad. If I didn’t pay for the wireless I’d be mooching off of someone else or waiting in line at the internet café. Damn! I’m living large!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Doesn't your boonie cap have a stampede string? Has it been rendered inoperable by the heat?