Monday, August 27, 2007

26 August 2007: "Pink Floyd! I love that guy!"


Early this morning three of my team members drove over to where an engineering unit was packing up their shipping containers for the return home. Two of my guys are in the Coast Guard and are HAZMAT experts. Since one of the containers was to carry HAZMAT, it was essential that my “Coasties” inspected how the material was packed. They also needed to ensure the paperwork was completed correctly. While they were there a Major from the engineer unit showed up and started yelling at my guys in a most unprofessional manner (right in front of other soldiers I might add). The Major was yelling things like, “We ain’t fuckin’ doin’ that! In five deployments I’ve never seen that listed as fuckin’ HAZMAT!” My guys kept their cool. Once the Major was finished with his tirade they came and found me. Upon hearing what had happened I asked where I might find the Major. We took a little drive back over to the engineers. While my team continued to help them properly pack their containers, I set out to find the Major.

I found him a short time later walking out of their HQ. I identified myself to him and asked him what his problem was with my team. “Sir, I been doin’ this for years and I know what’s HAZMAT and what isn’t,” he grumbled. I asked him if he were the person who would be inspecting those containers at the port. Of course he wasn’t. “Do you know who will Major?” I asked. He looked at me with a blank stare. “Those two Coast Guard personnel that you were very unprofessional towards work for the same USCG team that inspects your containers at the port. Do you think they know what to look for? We are here to help your unit get home without problems. Under whose authority do you proceed to yell at my team?” I continued but he attempted to interrupt me with comments about how he’d done this before, was certified in HAZMAT, and other lame excuses. That was the wrong answer. At that point I told him “at ease” (which in military terms means shut the fuck up). I made a few points very clear to him. If he had a problem from then on he’d best come see me first. Later on in the day he took it upon himself to apologize to my Coast Guard personnel and respectfully ask for their assistance in filling out his paperwork. I don’t foresee any future problems out of the Major.

After my ass-chewing of the Major the day went very smooth. We continued with some inspections over at Camp Striker. Since we were there we ate lunch at the Commando CafĂ© (longtime readers will remember this place as the biggest DFAC in Iraq). After lunch we loitered at the Striker PX for a few minutes before heading back to Camp Liberty. By 1500 we were done. That’s good because it was blistering hot. I took a nap and then walked to the gym.

While I was at the gym I noticed that they were blaring music from an AFN radio channel – The Eagle. Apparently, it was classic rock weekend. After awhile I started focusing in on what the DJ was saying between sets. It became quite obvious that you don’t need to be a music history genius to work for AFN. “Us and Them” by Pink Floyd was playing. At the end of the song the DJ said, “That was Pink Floyd. I love that guy! Although, I have to say that sometimes he was way out there.” I rolled my eyes and sighed. If you don’t get it then you may need to Google “Pink Floyd”. It’ll come to you.

Just as I was settling down back at my hooch my evening was briefly interrupted. “THWUMP!!!” – with accompanying violent shaking and rocking of my hooch. Normally, nobody ever reacts to this but this one was different. It hit very close by. I stuck my head out the door and although it was dark I could see others sticking their heads out to see what was up. I learned that a mortar round had impacted less than 300 meters to the rear of my hooch. There was only one round though – fortunately because that one was way too close for comfort. It didn’t hit anything or anyone so it just provided us with something to talk about over morning coffee.
Check out today's photo and see if you can find the Blackhawks. I didn't even know they were in the picture until after I downloaded the camera and was browsing through the photos. This was looking towards the DFAC from my hooch.

No comments: