Saturday, August 18, 2007

17 August 2007: The Military Legacy Continues


And so the military legacy continues…. Today marked the first event back home that I’m truly feeling sad for missing. My oldest nephew graduated from Army basic training at Fort Knox, KY. Several family members attended the graduation. I called to coincide with the completion of the ceremony but missed the man of honor. He was back at his barracks. Apparently, all the new graduates weren’t released immediately after the ceremony. They had to go back and perform “barracks maintenance.” I was able to speak with everyone except Patrick. I won’t actually talk to him until later this weekend. I’m proud of him for certain.

There wasn’t anything about today that stood out here in Balad. My nephew’s graduation was the highlight. I was there in spirit. It wasn’t quite an out of body experience but close. I’m quite familiar with Fort Knox, having spent quite some time there for training.

We’re just counting the days down to the next mission.

No comments: