Monday, August 6, 2007

06 August 2007: I'm now the elder statesman


The big news is that I’m now the elder statesman of my team. I guess it’s only fitting, given that I’m also the officer-in-charge. When I arrived there was one NCO who had extended. He left a few weeks ago. There was another NCO who had been here prior and volunteered to return. In addition, a Chief Warrant Officer extended for another six months here. The two latter soldiers are leaving to redeploy home. That leaves me as the most tenured team member. To say goodbye to both of them we held a “Hail and Farewell” ceremony. I thanked them both for their time and efforts and presented them with Army Commendation Medals. We also presented both of them with embroidered guidons. It was a good ceremony.

Right now the focus is getting ready for upcoming missions. There are lots of moving pieces involved with that. The biggest reason is that I have to send team members in different directions for separate missions. Pretty soon we won’t have anyone at LSAA because we’ll all be on various missions. While it may seem “organized chaos”, there really is a sense of order. I have a plan. Everyone on the team knows the plan and they’re comfortable with their respective roles.

I guess the highlight of my day was getting my new running shoes in the mail. My old shoes were completely trashed. I pulled the new shoes out of the box and had them on my feet within the hour. Thirty minutes and five miles later I was happy. The new shoes rock! I’ll remain a New Balance man. Their shoes haven’t let me down in several years. Let that be my endorsement.

No comments: