Wednesday, August 8, 2007

08 August 2007: Luxury of No Impending Missions

Right now I’m basking in the luxury of no impending missions. I didn’t realize how much I needed a few days of rest. We’ve been traveling almost continually since the end of June. All the late nights waiting on flights were taking a toll. It didn’t help that we were at places like FOB Warhorse. I really can’t complain though – I’ve got a great job and I’m having a super deployment. It is a nice feeling to be idle for a few days. This doesn’t mean we aren’t working – to the contrary. Our work has shifted back to the office setting. I’m in the midst of planning upcoming missions. In the meantime, we have people traveling to see us for assistance with their redeployment software and other issues. There’s a continual two-way flow of information between us and the brigades we support. Iraq isn’t a big place at all when you travel around. It’s pretty cool to know so many people all over the country. I definitely have a better perspective than I’ve had on any previous deployment.

I really didn’t have much to report for today. Basically, I was cooped up in the office most of the morning working on a “command assignment board packet.” I’m trying to get selected for a battalion command when this deployment is over. I finished the packet and submitted it electronically. Hopefully it will bear fruit.

By the end of the day I was pretty mellow. After a run I ate chow and made a run to the PX. Although the PX is right next to Green Beans I decided not to stop in at the Wednesday night karaoke. Most of my friends have redeployed so I don’t really know anyone there. Besides, I didn’t feel like singing. I went back to my hooch and continued reading my book. I’m reading “In the Heart of the Sea” by Nathaniel Philbrick, which is the true account of the whaleship Essex. I’ve become fascinated with this account. The book is excellent. It is quite a tragedy. The most amazing part is that it all really happened. When the deployment is over I’ll have to visit Nantucket. The graves of some of the crew are there. The ship sailed from Nantucket. It became immortalized as the ship that was “stove by a whale.” I’d say the story would make an excellent movie. However, I’d expect Hollywood to embellish the story to the point that it would be stupid. It’s the kind of story that can only be told as an exact account. I’d hate for it to be ruined in the manner of Pearl Harbor or Titanic. Those two movies are embarrassments to the tragic events they supposedly pay homage to. Anyway, I digress…

LSA Anaconda is still carrying on at a steady drumbeat.

No comments: