Wednesday, August 15, 2007

15 August 2007: Birthday in Balad


I’ve spent three of my past five birthdays deployed. Of the three spent deployed, this one was the best. Some people look for reasons to spend melancholy days – birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, etc. I don’t. Although I try to approach every day the same, it’s still important to acknowledge special things about certain days. While it is true that I’d rather spend my birthday with friends and family back home, I do get to spend it with my surrogate family in Iraq. They took care of me today. I am glad we weren’t on mission today because it would have been much more difficult to have a day like today.

Every day we have a 0900 meeting to discuss important daily events. The whole staff remembered it was my birthday. They sang that timeless classic “Happy Birthday to You.” It was very moving. I was touched that they remembered. I have a habit of not advertising. If people forget it’s my birthday I don’t act like Molly Ringwald’s character in “Sixteen Candles.” I didn’t even have to worry about it though. Everyone knew it was my birthday.

Once the meeting was complete I headed over to my office. Nobody on my team said a word. I began to believe that only the staff remembered. I wasn’t about to blurt out anything. The day wore on as though nothing was different. To be fair, we do have several things we’re working on right now. We also have some visitors here for assistance. Add it all up and it means there are several moving pieces. With that in mind it wouldn’t be surprising if folks didn’t acknowledge a birthday.

As the day creeped to a close I entertained the idea of hitting Green Beans for karaoke. Only a couple of people expressed interest. I mentioned it again at the 1700 meeting but nobody really seemed excited at the idea. As I left for the day only a couple of people had mentioned they would meet me over there. Once I had worked out and ate supper I met the lieutenant on my team and we drove over to the west side. Lo and behold, every member of the unit was there. Somehow they had managed to surprise me. They had a birthday cake. The XO got up and led the entire crowd in another rendition of “Happy Birthday to You.” We took photos, passed out cake, and spent a few minutes together at Green Beans. I’ve got to say that I was pleasantly surprised. It was a nice touch by everyone.

Birthdays come and go, but I’m certain I’ll always remember this one. It wasn’t necessarily because of how the events unfolded. I genuinely felt cared for by everyone I work with. That in itself made it a special day.

Sounds kinda corny doesn’t it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No it doesn't sound to corny.....well a little.hehehe Just kidding! I hope you got my card! Come home healthy! Cuz