Thursday, December 6, 2007

05 December 2007: Goodbye TQ!


The natural inclination of my team would have been to sleep in. Unfortunately, we couldn't. Our first order of business was to run back to the pax terminal for 0730. Once we were there, I handed over our ID cards to see if we could manifest back to Liberty. I received both good and bad news. There was room for four of us. Three would have to chance space A. It was a sad prospect for some. I had to prioritize who was manifested based on mission critical personnel. We didn't have to return to the pax terminal until 1715. I told everyone to do whatever they wanted until then. I went to breakfast. Then I cruised over to the MWR to attempt the internet. Afterward came a stop at Green Beans for some more coffee. Once I took a healthy shit it was time to cruise over to the chow hall for lunch. I don't know what my team did. I never saw them again until time to walk back to the pax terminal. I slept the afternoon as best I could.

The evening was a repeat of the night before except that we all managed to get on the CH-46's. I loaded with the other three that were manifested. After several minutes, the crew chief turned the lights back on, lowered the ramp, and walked back onto the tarmac. To our elated surprise our other three team members were allowed to board. Although you couldn't hear anything from the noise, I think several cheered. Then we took off into the night sky bound for Camp Liberty.

Somehow, I managed to sit next to the only window on the helicopter that was open. For the entire flight I was subjected to gail force, freezing winds. I thought the irony - made it out of TQ, died from exposure. A CH-46 vibrates a lot too. I looked around at my team and they all resembled bobblehead dolls. Thank God the flight went by relatively fast. We were back in Camp Liberty in about thirty minutes. We couldn't wait to get back to our respective hooches. As soon as I got back, I dropped my gear and clothes in place and went straight to the shower. It was a luxurious event. TQ - been there, done that.

No comments: