Wednesday, December 19, 2007

18 December 2007: USCG with a CAB

Do you want to know something that's a rarity? Coast Guard personnel in Iraq is a rarity. Do you want to know something that's even more of a rarity? Meeting someone in the Coast Guard who's earned the Combat Action Badge. I don't know how many USCG personnel actually work in Iraq. I do know it's safe to say that at least half of them work for me. As of today, I've also got a Coast Guard Boatswain's Mate First Class who's earned the Combat Action Badge. I received the official orders for him and my Army NCOIC that authorize both to wear the CAB. They earned the honor for performing their duties while rockets were impacting around them at a distance of 100 meters. Several other members of my team also have CAB's pending for separate hostile fire incidents.

Right now I'm almost alone at Camp Liberty. Half of my team is at Camp Taji, where they've been for a month now. Four other members of my team are at Prosperity Base. I'm here with my NCOIC. He's about to leave on R&R. Once he's gone I'll be alone for a couple of days.

Being alone doesn't necessarily make for exciting blog entries. I'll try though.

No comments: