Tuesday, December 18, 2007

17 December 2007: I take one for the team


Our biggest customer by far has been Multi-National Division - Baghdad (MND-B). The outgoing MND-B HQ is 1st Cavalry Division. MND-B is the largest maneuver division in Iraq. Currently, it consists of eight separate Brigade Combat Teams. My team has redeployed (or is in the process of redeploying) every single one of the outgoing BCTs. It has been a huge undertaking, requiring a lot of long hours, working in multiple FOBs, and continually splitting up my team to meet various demands at different locations. We've definitely been up to the task. Today, MND-B held a ceremony to honor my team for their ongoing support of the redeployment process. The Division G4 presided. He presented each of us a Certificate of Appreciation. What's more is that each of us were presented another certificate that authorizes the wear of the 1st Cavalry Division patch as wartime service insignia. That's significant in that 1st Cavalry Division has accepted my team into their "Band of Brothers" for this deployment in Iraq. We've been recognized forever as one of their own. We'll wear the patch proudly.

While the ceremony was the highlight of our day, there was still more work to do. Not only did we have more work at Camp Liberty, we also needed to fly over to Prosperity Base for mission support there. Prosperity Base is only about a five minute helicopter ride from here. It's in the middle of the Green Zone. We would have to fly from Liberty Pad to Washington LZ (adjacent to the U.S. Embassy). Someone from Prosperity Base would pick us up and drive us back to where we needed to be. Our showtime wasn't until midnight. When we got there the place was packed with people waiting on flights. It was a clear, cold night. Once we checked in we stood outside shivering and waiting. Around 0045, we were told to line up - our helicopters were on the way. A few minutes later two Blackhawks landed. The crew chief had bad news. One of us would have to be bumped due to unexpected space limitations. Without hesitation, I pulled myself off the flight. The unit in Prosperity Base needed both of my Coast Guard inspectors and my two movement planners. I was not mission essential for this trip - they were. I turned around, tapped my senior NCO and told him he was in charge. I'll try to get over (if necessary) in a day or so. My team is so experienced now they don't need supervision for everything. I trust them.

By the time I got back to my hooch they had already arrived at Prosperity Base and e-mailed me a status update. My team rocks. I don't mind taking one for the team.

No comments: