Monday, December 10, 2007

09 December 2007: Experience breeds indifference

If there was a way I could make this blog a three-dimensional sight and sound experience I would. There are so many aspects of day-to-day existence in any-FOB Iraq that I simply cannot convey. I know I've made mention of this before. Everyone here just builds up a natural immunity to all the bizarre events. The more experienced we become the more indifferent we are to just about everything. Here's a case in point. Around 1500 I went to the gym. There weren't many people there so the workout was a snap. After about thirty minutes of weights, I jumped up on a cross-trainer. Shortly after there was a loud "WHUMP" close by. The shock rocked the Scorpion MWR. Although a couple of Joes stopped and looked around, every Joe adjacent to me on the cardio-machines didn't miss a beat. I kept right on with my workout. A few minutes later the guy next to me said, "that seemed kinda close." That was the only acknowledgement anyone gave to the near miss. Like I said, experience breeds indifference.

Here is my recommendation to all the brash, trash-talking players out there in the NFL. If you want to really look like an idiot on gameday, just do this - in the week leading up to your team playing the Patriots make certain to guarantee to the media that your team is going to win.

No comments: