Saturday, December 29, 2007

28 December 2007: Joe knows fine dining

The good news for today was that I completed the latest iteration of awards. By the time all was said and done, I had written (or re-written) six Army Commendation (ARCOM) awards and four Bronze Star Medals (BSM). The sad thing is several soldiers on my team deserved recognition greater than ARCOM's for their service. I had originally written them up to receive Meritorious Service Medals (MSM). Then my command passed on guidance that soldiers serving in Iraq or Afghanistan who had performed combat service could only receive either the ARCOM or BSM. The MSM would only apply to non-combat service in places like Kuwait. The unfortunate thing about this is the MSM falls in between the ARCOM and BSM. It was an ideal fit for some of my team who didn't quite have strong enough service accomplishments on this deployment to merit a BSM. Essentially, my command's guidance forced me to "downgrade" several of my previously written awards. For two soldiers, I was able to build a good enough narrative of accomplishments to "upgrade" their award to BSM's. I truly hope this will be the last round of awards. I went back through the past four months and found five separate entries in this forum where I was writing, re-writing, and fretting over getting awards completed. Some of you are acutely aware of how difficult the awards process in the military can be.

On my way to lunch I paid a visit to the friendly KBR port-o-jon. Once again - paydirt! I got an update on what Jody has been up to back home. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Jody, I will fill you in. Jody is the generic name given to the guy back home who's stealing your girl, wife, or significant other. Joes frequently refer to the cadence they sing in formation as "Jody Calls". I hadn't put much thought into what Jody has been up to so I'm glad Joe thought to remind me (and others). As I turned to walk out of the fine facility of plastic and blue water, I saw the Jody update. It read as follows:

"Don't worry. Jody is paying all your bills with your check, feeding your dog, and having a great time with your wife. Happy Deployment!"

I truly appreciated the public service announcement.

The DFAC was packed. Once I filled my tray with tasty vittles I had to search for a seat. I squeezed in next to a couple of Joes. I was attempting to watch the nearest TV but couldn't help tuning in to the Joe talk. One of the Joes was from West Virginia. Apparently, his family had asked him if he had heard something on the news. "I told them of course I have! I'm in Iraq, not some other planet!" Then he took a bite of chicken wing. After a few chews he looked at his buddy and said something profound.

"Man, when I get home the first thing I'm gonna do is eat me some serious KFC!"

Sorry Mom, Joe is all about fine dining. Joe knows fine dining.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of a certain person in our family (not you) who prefers Kraft Mac and Cheese from a box to my homemade!
Mom