Friday, December 28, 2007

27 December 2007: Awards and more HAZMAT

Christmas is over, New Year's is coming up, for a couple of days in between the units come back to life. Most units gave as many people time off as they could for Christmas. The ripple effect was that my team was in a holding pattern until the units came back to life. Today we sprang back in action. Some HAZMAT containers needed to be inspected and sealed. These belong to yet another unit headed home soon. They just missed being home in time for Christmas. We got an early start. The containers were sealed and ready by about 1400.

After we finished we caught a late lunch at the MND-B DFAC. We barely made it in before they closed. Apparently, the new management (4th Infantry Division) has done away with the fifteen minute grace period at closing time. Once we wrapped up chow, I released everyone for the day. I got back to my hooch to find that the saga of awards isn't over.

Yeah, I know... I specifically wrote all the awards for my team back before I went on R&R. Unfortunately, I don't run things at the top. My old "higher" had submitted a suspense date for all our awards to be submitted back in October. In November, they had a change-of-command and new management arrived. Shortly afterward, we learned that the old commander departed without even looking at the awards he had demanded we submit. Now the new command is reviewing the awards (two months later) and finding errors. We're the ones that have to correct the mistakes, editing comments, or format changes. I, like everyone else, was taken by surprise. The rest of my day was taken up at my desk while I rewrote awards.

Although it truly sucks, I'll work as long as it takes to make certain my team's awards are correct and submitted on time. They've earned that and much, much more.

No comments: