Saturday, December 22, 2007

21 December 2007: Joe sums up the drudgery

Even when Joe says something cliche it's a pearl of wisdom. Something about the way he expresses himself puts all existence into complete focus. There's never any gray area with Joe. He wastes no time getting to his point. Joe's truth hurts sometimes but he doesn't care. When it comes to summing up the drudgery of daily existence here he can even make a time-honored phrase come to life with vivid clarity. Here's my latest example. I was on the way to the DeFleury DFAC and had to make a pit stop. The handy KBR port-o-jon was on the way. Joe put it all in perspective once again.

Joe: "Different day, same old shit. Same shit tomorrow, different day"

This solicited a response of approval. Another Joe wrote "Amen" just below. Yeah, Joe understands the drudgery. He's been there, done that.

My four personnel returned from Prosperity Base. They were supposed to return at 0030. It's never too late in the year for a weather delay. The helicopters from Washington LZ didn't arrive at Liberty Pad until 0330. I waited, shivered, paced, and passed the time for three hours. It would have been easy to just go back to the hooch. Nobody could give me a straight answer on when the flight would arrive - just that it was delayed. I waited. They finally made it.

What a land of extremes this place is. Just three months ago we were sweltering in 120-plus temperatures. Now it's low thirties at night. Next comes the rain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for several weeks now on RSS feed, and I need to thak you for the beautifully detailed descriptions of what it's like there. My son is stationed at FOB Kalsu, and the way you told about the base and Thanksgiving there helped me so much. He didn't get the dinner since he was on patrol, but I knew the Army was trying. Thank you again!