Saturday, December 1, 2007

30 November 2007: What happened to this month?

It flew by. I think November passed seemingly faster than any month to date on this deployment. I'll chalk it up to being busy. I didn't spend a single day in Balad. As a matter of fact, I haven't been to Anaconda since I left back on 29 October. My hooch is probably crawling with spiders and scorpions by now. I'm just kidding (I hope). Actually, it occurred to me that at the beginning of each month KBR comes around to each hooch at LSAA and services the AC. They leave a note when they leave to notify you that they were in your room to conduct maintenance. The crew is going to walk into my place to find the exact same note they left for me at the beginning of November. I hope they don't assume I left for good. My stuff is still there. At the rate my missions are going there may be three identical maintenance notes sitting on my bed below the AC. Wouldn't it be ironic if when I return the AC doesnt' work? That would be bad because it's starting to get cold enough at night to turn on the heat and the AC doubles as the heater.

My intent today had included driving over to the MRAP fielding office to see if we could tour the new MRAPs. I underestimated the amount of work we had to complete. By the time we were finished it was way too late. I guess we'll try another day. Worse comes to worse I'll just ask some Joes to give me a tour. As fast as they are getting fielded it won't be hard to do.

It was steak night at the DFAC. On face value that would seem a good thing. I love steak - medium rare and USDA Prime. That's not what's being served at the DFAC. We're fed mystery cuts of beef that are cooked until they are practically jerky. Then we're given flimsy plastic utensils that break as you attempt to cut through the tanned leather. I normally go hungry on steak night.

We're on the eve of Army-Navy. I'm sticking with my prediction. I hope I'm wrong. I want to be wrong. If I'm wrong I want you all to post that I was wrong. I just don't believe my prediction is wrong. However, let me state boldly and emphatically -

GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY!

No comments: