Thursday, May 3, 2007

03 May 2007: What's in a day?

Well if we're talking about today it's an empty shell. I sat in front of my computer all morning, ate lunch, and then was back on the computer all afternoon. I took it upon myself to revise our team SOP (standard operating procedures) notebook (Army euphimism is "Battlebook"). Well that proved to be a much bigger task than I thought. Most of the memos and guidelines dated back to 2005. It seems the prior management of the team was reticent to open the book at all. I have to admit that I've been a little slow to look myself. Well now I'm knee-deep in SOP's. I can see why the battlebook was covered in dust. The memos are poorly written, outdated, and full of typo's. I can safely say that the team battlebook will be brand new when I'm finished. Hopefully my work doesn't result in carpel-tunnel syndrome. My next project will be something this team has never had - a continuity book. This is a very important record that keeps track of missions completed, personnel assigned, and other critical team data. It's called a continuity book because it assists new leadership to quickly understand the functions of the team. In other words, when I eventually leave and a new OIC arrives there will be no loss of continuity in the team's operations.

I found out that yesterday was the fourth anniversary of Ivy Tavern. Ah, my favorite neighborhood watering hole back home.... Congratulations Dave! May there be many, many more anniversaries. My regards to Angela, Maggie, Rob, Hutch, Thomas, Stacy, and Katy! Another shout goes out to all my regular friends - there's too many to mention. So long as I don't get extended I will definitely see you at the fifth anniversary.

Do you all remember just a few days back when it was pouring rain and cool? That was less than a week ago. Well the Iraq I remember is back. Temperatures are pushing 100 and climbing fast. We'll be roasting in no time! Now's a good time to go do another "pulse-check" of morale. That's right folks, watch for the next edition of "port-o-jon" humor. It's time to see what's on Joe's mind now that the temperatures are starting to soar. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just thought you might like to know that I read your blog each morning before Ray's Weather! You are #1 on the list.