Thursday, May 31, 2007

31 May 2007: Goodbye May!


And so May comes to a close…. Hello June! It’s a great feeling to have another month down. There was nothing spectacular about the last day of May either. That’s pretty much the theme of the entire month – nothing spectacular. It started with a trip to FOB Marez. Once I returned from that trip I never set foot off of LSAA the rest of the month. It’s hard to keep the team focused when there’s little to do. I think we managed well enough all things considered.

An event over supper epitomized the attitude that sets in with routine. Just after I had filled my tray and was about to sit the IDF attack alarm sounded. This wasn’t the standard announcement. The siren sounded signaling that there was incoming. How did everyone react? Have you read the story of “The Little Boy who cried Wolf?” Imagine all the soldiers in the DFAC were the townspeople and the siren was the boy. All the Joes looked around with a “whatever” look and kept right on eating. There were a couple of AF dudes who got up and ran outside to the shelter. Another couple (AF again) got under their table. After a while they looked around in bewilderment at all the Joes. Then they cautiously got back up in their seats and continued eating. What did I do? I sat down, ate my supper, and watched “The Colbert Report” while awaiting the all clear. About forty minutes later the all clear sounded. That was the cue for everyone to get up and leave.

Earlier in the day I saw some graffiti in the port-o-jon that made me laugh. It comes from one of the bravado “my service is better than yours” types. This time it came from a Marine. Remember, this is quoted exactly as it was written.

“I need some pussy! Oh wait, never mind. The Army just walked by. Ooooohraah! Simpre Fi Mother Fuckers!”

I guess the Marine didn’t learn how to spell slogans in basic training. He loves his Corps though. That’s obvious.

Goodbye May! Don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

At least the dear lad didn't spell it simper. (I won't say jarhead since that's a pejorative term :-)

Thanks for adding the time and temp. I confess I had to use my fingers to figure out that 19:00 is 7:00 pm, and yes I'm an accountant. Yikes! Sorry to see it's still 104 F there.