Wednesday, May 30, 2007

30 May 2007: Light at the end of May


May is one of the months of the year that seem to be longer than all the other months. Maybe it’s just me, but May seems as though it has five or six extra days. It doesn’t matter if I’m busy or not. May just drags on forever. Yet there’s light at the end of the tunnel. The arrival of June is a foregone conclusion. With June comes a busy training calendar. I’ve already got several events scheduled that will have me traveling around again. June, unlike May, always seems to fly by. Given my busy schedule, I’m happy to report that June will sprint past at record pace. I’m eager to be busy again.

At some point you must’ve wondered why my team was so busy but our activities came to a screeching halt. The easiest (and generic) way to explain is summed up in one word – extensions. That’s right. Everything my team does is tied directly to the redeployment process of units here in country. When everyone got extended it pushed our schedule back a couple of months. That left a bunch of dead space on our calendar. I’ve been working diligently to fill in the time with courtesy missions assisting units here at LSAA. It’s petty work though and certainly doesn’t fill up entire weeks. Within a couple of months we will be back in business. My whole team is looking forward to being back out serving the warfighters. Just like any other soldiers we place mission first. That’s why we can’t wait to get back out and pursue our actual mission.

How did we fill in time today? Fortunately, I was able to schedule some courtesy inspections of containers for a unit here at LSAA. That gave my team something to do for most of the day. We’ll be conducting an internal training exercise over the weekend that’s designed to keep our skills sharp. I spent a good portion of today reviewing the training plan. I also conducted a “Leader’s Recon” of a training site for one of our future missions. It’s with an armored cavalry unit here at LSAA. That gave me a chance to meet some new folks. I also got to see inside their HQ building which was very cool. Being the LTC, I always get a pseudo-VIP tour.

My main event for the evening was to chill back in the room with some old-school classic comedy. I watched “This is Spinal Tap”. I’ve seen it many times. The movie rules.

No comments: