Tuesday, May 22, 2007

21 May 2007: Gym parking and a stupid game called "Zuma"



First I have to apologize to everyone. I gave a difficult link for “Squeakers the Hamster”. I’ll correct it on yesterday’s blog but to save you scrolling down I’ll give it here as well. Squeakers and all his OPSEC commercials can be found at http://www.afneurope.net/heidelberg/Article.asp?t=p&id=318846

Now let me get on with today’s zaniness. Truth is, there wasn’t really any. At least there’s nothing about today that struck me as a highlight. My team is all back together now. I had a soldier down in Kuwait for the past few weeks. He’s back. I spent most of my workday planning some upcoming missions. Unfortunately, that requires sitting at my desk for long stretches at a time. If I closed my eyes I could have been back in my office in Providence. The occasional announcement from the command post of an indirect fire attack would break up that daydream. It’s a recorded message. Here’s how it goes –

“This is the command post. This is the command post. There has been an indirect fire attack. Post attack reconnaissance teams are directed to conduct UXO check. All other personnel are released. All personnel are to remain vigilant for UXOs. All clear, all clear, all clear. Command post, out.”

It’s so mundane that hardly anyone ever even notices. It reminds us that we aren’t back home though. At least I don’t ever remember hearing that announcement back at PC.

After work I changed into PT uniform and headed over to the gym. As I pulled in and parked I found the lot almost full. Parking at the gym means finding a space among up-armored humvees, armored cars, gun trucks, and other NTVs. I found a space alongside a couple of convoy security armored cars. That’s my Admiral you see in the photo. I didn’t catch the name of the owners of the two armored cars.

After I settled in for the evening I found myself playing “Zuma” for a couple of hours. It’s a goofy game with a frog that shoots colored balls out of his mouth. I won’t describe more than that. You’ve either played it or you haven’t. For those of you who know Zuma, I’m stuck on level nine. As a matter of fact, I just finished playing. I got so frustrated I had to stop. I was running the risk of waking up my neighbor with all the disgusted cussing I was doing. Stupid game!

Getting back out on mission is going to be great.

No comments: