Saturday, May 19, 2007

18 May 2008: Cops in Balad


As crazy as it may sound, there are traffic police at LSAA. Their purpose is to enforce speed limits and other traffic laws. The main road on East LSAA goes north-south and has a divider. At various intervals there are openings in the divider to make turns. Some of the openings have "no U-turn" signs. I'm sure you've figured out that I must've violated a traffic law. Yep.... I was headed south and needed to go north. So I did the logical thing and made a U-turn. In no time at all I had a bluelight SUV coming up behind me. After making my way through a traffic circle I pulled over and waited. Out of the SUV steps a diminutive AF sergeant. When he gets to my window I ask, "can I help you?" He replies, "Sir, there are no U-turns authorized on this road. I saw you make an illegal U-turn." I decided to act dumb. "Really? No U-turns? I wasn't aware of that. If I'd known I certainly wouldn't have done that." With a perplexed look he replied, "Well sir there are signs posted." Of course I denied knowledge of this. "I'm sorry, I didn't see any signs. I guess I just wasn't paying attention." I guess he'd had enough at this point. "Ok sir, just keep it in mind. No U-turns allowed. Have a good day." He then saluted. I returned the salute and said, "thanks for doing your job. You have a good day as well. Stay safe." After I drove on I wondered what authority the sergeant actually had. He didn't take any information, didn't write any ticket, and didn't ask to see anything of me. I guess it's just a courtesy. You can bet I won't make any more U-turns. Well at least not any if there are other cars around.

That was the highlight of the day. Somehow I managed to run afoul of the AF once again. I'm becoming convinced they have it out for me. Sometimes the war seems very far removed from LSAA. If it weren't for the daily mortar attacks and lack of beer I'd be convinced I'm back at some stateside installation. Well it's also a lot dirtier than any military post I've seen.

Today was commissioning day for the seniors back at PC Army ROTC. I congratulate all of the new Second Lieutenants. My thoughts are with you. You are all ready and have earned the right to join the officer corps. I look forward to seeing many of you down range. I know that you will all do an excellent job. It's been my privilege and honor to work with each of you. Godspeed!

No comments: