Thursday, May 10, 2007

10 May 2007: Catching up on Sopranos....

...among other things. I'll get to that. First order of business today was to go sign for the pick-up truck. My new ride is a four-door Nissan Admiral. I'd never heard of one but that's not unusual. There's lots of rides over here that you won't find in the states - names like Patrol, Pajero, etc. The Admiral is a basic, tiny truck with 5-speed manual transmission. It does have AC and a stereo. The thing is white with really ugly pinstriping. There's also advertising stickers all over the thing (as though it were some kind of NASCAR racer). I'm not complaining though because it beats the hell out of the humvee. Our vehicles are just for driving around LSAA and not for joy-riding outside the wire. Anyway, there were TCN contractors getting the truck ready. They had a trailer for an office/living quarters. When the paperwork was ready to sign I went in the trailer to find it was pimped out to the max. It had shiny wood paneling, mirrored doors and ceilings, a huge entertainment center with giant flat-screen TV, and stripper poles. The kitchen area had brushed stainless steel surfaces and a long counter that went out into the living area like a stripper platform. There was a curving divider wall separating the beds from the living area. It was about waist-high, painted to resemble old west rustic wood, and had saloon-style swinging doors in the middle. There were lots of mirrors in the sleeping area as well. The furniture was all big and gawdy burl-wood veneer stuff that looked like it all came from a Service Merchandise showroom. This place was unbelievable. I can't even come close to describing how crazy this place was. The question is who were these TCN's entertaining? It's not like there are women around. Hmmm.... I guess they just wanted to live in style.

After signing for my ride it was off to a normal work day. That entails nothing exciting. For lunch I went to the AF DFAC. Guess who I saw? That's right! There he was, Mr. Arrogant himself, Chief Master Sergeant. I was already sitting down when I saw him. Our eyes met as he walked down the line of tables in my direction. I gave him a very serious, unblinking, icy stare. He quickly looked down and didn't look in my direction again. I watched him walk by and resumed eating. I was hoping that he'd say something but he didn't. No fireworks over lunch.

I'm still hampered with a stiff neck and shoulder so I decided to take a day off from the workouts. It was a perfect night for that because the next two episodes of Sopranos had arrived. After supper I settled into the hooch and watched both. All I can say is the plot thickens. I'll be eagerly awaiting the final six episodes. Will Tony's demise be the Federal Rico case? Bobby? Christopher? Paulie? the New York family? an asteroid from Mars? Global Warming? Stay tuned. I am.

My truck is really ugly folks. You wouldn't catch me driving it around Providence. However, it's a Lexus compared to that humvee. Now I don't have to wear my kevlar every time I need to drive somewhere.

No comments: