Sunday, May 27, 2007

26 May 2007: Body Odor in the DFAC



In the regular workplace a Saturday has significance. Around here it doesn’t really mean anything to the majority of Joes. They just go on about their work. It isn’t uncommon for people to lose track of days of the week. It doesn’t really matter if it’s a long weekend either. Although we are in the midst of Memorial Day weekend, for most of the people here it’s just days on the calendar. That doesn’t mean that we won’t acknowledge Memorial Day. It just doesn’t represent that first long weekend of summer the way it does back in the states. Fortunately, my team has the luxury of enjoying some normalcy this weekend. As I mentioned before, we are in the lull before the storm. I told my team to leave as soon as they finished whatever tasks they were chasing. Most of them left around 1500 to see “Shrek The Third” at the Sustainer. I declined the invite. I figured I’d wait for their review and go see it when the theater is less crowded.

Instead I paid homage to routine. I went to the gym and got my workout on. I’m discovering more and more that you simply can’t drink enough water around here. You’ll sweat out fluid as fast as you can put it in. Every time I complete my workout I’m soaked in sweat and dripping. It’s as though I jumped in the pool. That’s including the fact that the gym is air conditioned. There are some psychos who run outdoors. In this heat it’s practically insane. I’ll take the AC option any day.

After showering I hit the DFAC for supper. Unfortunately, somebody sitting near me hadn’t showered. As soon as I sat down to eat I started to smell body odor. It wasn’t a constant aroma. However, it was just enough to be nauseating. Every time I went for a bite of chow the smell would invade my nostrils. Eventually I gave up. I lost my appetite. Looking around, I tried to figure out who the culprit was. There were too many suspects to pinpoint the source. Oh well, I wasn’t that hungry. I’ll make up for it at Sunday breakfast.

Memorial Day weekend continues……

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just thought I'd mention the idea of buying stock in underarm deodorant/antiperspirant and sunscreen. It's still cheaper than gasoline at this point.