Saturday, May 26, 2007

25 May 2007: Rosie validates my theory

A few weeks ago I spent some time expressing my thoughts on how people abuse “support our troops” to justify any comment that follows (or precedes). Perhaps it’s just a theory, but if you pay attention you’ll see those three words being used in the most ridiculous ways. Rosie O’Donnell is the latest to hide behind the smoke screen. Quite frankly, there’s nobody who despises the troops more than her. She proved it this week on “The View” and then validated my theory by exclaiming “there’s nobody that supports our troops more than me!” Well let me take a close look at this Rosie. On the program you suggested (insinuated, implied, etc.) that the Americans in Iraq are the terrorists. I heard what you said, as everyone else did who saw the replay of your rant this week. Your message was very clear – you think Americans (as in American soldiers, since we’re the ones shouldering the burden) are the terrorists. I applaud Elisabeth Hasselback for confronting you on this. Normally you get to just run your big mouth without anyone objecting. Once confronted, you then immediately ran behind the words “I support our troops”. Does that mean you support terrorists? Because according to your logic the soldiers are the terrorists. Rosie you are a walking contradiction. Don’t even suggest to me – or any other man or woman in uniform – that you support us. The air immediately starts smelling like the shit that’s pouring from your mouth. I have a recommendation for you Rosie. Stop now while you’re behind. If you keep putting your foot in your mouth the way you did this week you will be considered the Jane Fonda of this generation. There’s not anyone on this planet that believes you support the troops (especially you). Don’t hide behind those three words again.

Let me clarify something – I’m not a fan of “The View”. I’ve never watched the show. But this whole Hasselback – O’Donnell flap has been all over the news the past few days. Every soldier in Iraq has become an Elisabeth Hasselback fan after what happened. As for Rosie? I don’t know anyone who liked her in the first place. Don’t worry Rosie. You don’t support us and we certainly don’t support you.

It was obviously a slow day if I’m talking about this stuff. After being bombarded with this in the news I had to weigh-in on the subject (no pun intended). Go back and read my blog entry “The Feel-Good of Support Our Troops”. Then compare my theory to what Rosie O’Donnell said this week. Rosie supports the troops? Yeah, like I’ve got a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you cheap.

All this comes on the eve of Memorial Day weekend too.

No comments: